THE PLYMPTON/LUJAN TEAM UP: ORIGIN STORY (from Scribble Junkies.Com)

From ScribbleJunkies.com (a wonderful site for all things Bill Plympton)

Revengeance

I first met Jim Lujan through my good buddy Ken Mora in 2009. If my memory is still intact, I recall he came to interview me on one of my visits to L.A. - perhaps I was there for the ASIFA Hollywood awards show, The Annies.

In any case, during the interview, he told me that he himself was an animator and I should check out his shorts online (how many times have I heard that request?)

Naturally, I never got around to it. Yet, I kept running into him at various animation functions: San Diego, The Annies, Burbank Film Festival, etc. He then gave me a DVD of his cartoon shorts and one day while I was bored, I slipped it into my DVD player and discovered a truly original writer, humorist, and designer.

Last year, when I was at the San Diego Comic Con, he had a booth and we hung out. Then, on my return flight, a wonderful thought occurred to me. His characters are so funny and original – Jim Lujan should do a feature film – and I could be the one to produce it. Hell, we should co-create an animated feature.

The only drawback to his animation is that the animations are very crude and raw – which in some cases is their charm. However, to do a feature film, the movement should be a lot more professional and I think I can deliver that.

When I finished the production of Cheatin', my bank account was empty and I was exhausted. Although I love the film and think it's the best thing I've done,

I was looking for a project that wasn't so labor-intensive and so complex.

So I called Jim up to suggest we work together to transform his wonderful characters onto the big screen. He loved the idea – and now he's creating a feature length script that hopefully my studio can turn into a major motion picture starting this summer.

Stay tuned to this blog for more updates on this fantastic project.

We may need to raise some money via Kickstarter so keep your checkbooks close at hand.

If you're interested, you can see Jim's wonderful shorts on
www.JimLujan.com
And tell him hello for me.
-Bill

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVENGEANCE- IFC CENTER NYC!

WHO ARE THE INLAND EMPERORS?